So as many of you know I water plants for my job. I love/hate it. One of the funny things that happens on a daily basis are the comments that people make to me. I thought I would share a few:
1. "WOW! I didnt realize that plant was real!!"
- Oh, its not this is just fake water.
- Are you kidding me!!!! I have walked past your desk and watered this exact same plant every week for the last 3 years!!!
2. "Want to come to my house next and take care of my plants"
3. Then there is a whole category of comments referring to me pouring water people...on co-workers...computers... filling up their cups, mugs or water bottles...
-Again awkward laughter. I usually cant even come up with words to say back to them.
- If you only knew how much I really want to pour this on your head/computer/co-worker...
4. And then there are the concerned comments..."How is my plant this week?" or "It's looking a little sad this week." or "Is it dying?" or "I think it might need more water"
-Oh it looks just great. (forced smile) I'll do what I can and we'll see how it looks next week.
-Look, I really only know how to do one thing in this life really well and that is water plants. This plant has looked the same for 2 years, it looked the same last week and it will look the same next week. Why would you think it's terminal or dehydrated!?
5. People who ask me if I talk to/name the plants or tell me that they do.
- Awkward laugh...sure do. Now make sure you only say nice words to this plant or it may die.
-Yeah, I've named all the hundreds of plants I water and (out loud) make sure to personally greet them ever time, tell them how great they look, reassure them I'll take good care of them, then bid them a fond farewell. NOT!
For the most part I dont mind my job and it makes me laugh when people make comments about the plants. I think I'll have to do another post someday about the questions they have about their plants at home and how they try to describe them to me.
Holli & Jordan
3 months ago